Camelot from The Itinerary

Print

Camelot from The Itinerary

by: John Leland (Author)
from: The Itinerary (P. 151)  1710-1712

At the very south ende of the chirch of South-Cadbyri standith Camallate, sumtyme a famose toun or castelle, upon a very torre or hill, wunderfully enstrengtheid of nature, to the which be 2. enteringes up by very stepe way: one by north est and another by south west.

The very roote of the hille wheron this forteres stode is more then a mile in cumpace.

In the upper parte of the coppe of the hille be 4. diches or trenches, and a balky waulle or yerth betwixt every one of them. In the very toppe of the hille above al the trenchis is magna area or campus of 20. acres or more by estimation,.wher yn dyverse places men may se fundations and rudera of walles. There was much dusky blew stone that people of the villages therby hath caryid away.

This top withyn the upper waulle is xx. acres of ground and more, and hath bene often plowid and borne very good corne.

Much gold, sylver and coper of the Romaine coynes hath be found ther yn plouing : and lykewise in the feldes in the rootes of this hille, with many other antique thinges, and especial by este. Ther was found in hominum memoria a horse shoe of sylver at Camallate.

The people can telle nothing ther but that they have hard say that Arture much resortid to Camalat.

The old Lord Hungreford was owner of this Camallat. Now Hastinges the Erle of Huntendune by his mother.

Diverse villages there about bere the name of Camalat by an addition, as Quene-Camallat [Queen's Camel], and other.

The hylle and the diches depe well now viij. shepe.

Al the ground by south west and west of Camalat lyith in a vale, so that one of 2. wayes it may be sene far of.